Monday, July 16, 2012

Quiche

 The best quiche I ever had was last summer in Paris. My friend and I knew very little french so ordering food became very interesting. One day we went into a very busy bakery to grab lunch for a picnic. There were to many people to find out what everything was so I attempted to ask which of the delicious looking options didn't have meat. I ended up with the best tomato, basil, and mozzarella quiche ever! The quiche along with macarons and nap in the park equaled the perfect lunch.

Since then I have started experimenting a little more with my quiche filling. The combinations are endless. Once you know how to make a basic quiche, you can put whatever you want inside! For this quiche, I used stuff I already had in my fridge; goat's cheese, tomato, basil, and onions.



Goat's Cheese, Caramelized Onion, Tomato, and Basil Quiche

1 pie case (I used the left over pastry from my apple pie for the crust but frozen will do)
5 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1 onion
1 large tomato, sliced
goats cheese
3 basil leaves

1. Slice the onion and cook in a pan at medium-low heat with a little bit of oil. Cover the onions and leave them, stiring occasionally until they turn a carmel color. Add a pinch of salt and remove from heat.

2. Whisk the eggs, milk, and cream together in a bowl, add a pinch of salt and pepper. Chop the basil and add it into the mixture.

3. Using a fork, prick the bottom of your pie case. Spread the onions at the bottom of the crust. Place small pieces of goat cheese on top of the onions as well as the slices of tomato. Pour the egg mixture on top of it all.

4. Bake in a preheated 365 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Remove when the center is fully cooked. Use a toothpick to test if needed. Let cool for at least an hour.

5. Slice, eat, and enjoy!!


** The pie crust, eggs, milk, and cream are all you need for a basic quiche so get creative and make your own combinations and flavors!


No comments:

Post a Comment